I derived this recipe from Lennie's "Michael Symon's Drunken Cabbage#31824" but made significant changes to the recipe. I used what I had on hand. When I first made it, I didn't have any caraway seeds so I added it to the leftovers the next day. This dish comes out a little sweet but it is tasty. Cooked cabbage can tend to be a little "gassy" but I think the beer neutralizes that. This can be served as a side dish or eaten as a main dish.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until it is almost crisp.
- Add onion slices and saute until onion is tender.
- Do not drain the bacon grease unless there is too much.
- Add cabbage and stir until cabbage is well coated with the bacon mixture.
- Pour beer into a 2 cup measuring cup Add caraway seeds, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper and stir until well mixed.
- Mixture might get foamy.
- Pour over the cabbage in the skillet and mix well with an egg spatula.
- Cover with a lid and simmer until cabbage is tender (about 30 minutes).