1/5 Photos of Beered up cabbage
I derived this recipe from Lennie's "Michael Symon's Drunken Cabbage#31824" but made significant changes to the recipe. I used what I had on hand. When I first made it, I didn't have any caraway seeds so I added it to the leftovers the next day. This dish comes out a little sweet but it is tasty. Cooked cabbage can tend to be a little "gassy" but I think the beer neutralizes that. This can be served as a side dish or eaten as a main dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large skillet, fry bacon until it is almost crisp.
- 2Add onion slices and saute until onion is tender.
- 3Do not drain the bacon grease unless there is too much.
- 4Add cabbage and stir until cabbage is well coated with the bacon mixture.
- 5Pour beer into a 2 cup measuring cup Add caraway seeds, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper and stir until well mixed.
- 6Mixture might get foamy.
- 7Pour over the cabbage in the skillet and mix well with an egg spatula.
- 8Cover with a lid and simmer until cabbage is tender (about 30 minutes).
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beered up cabbage
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.9
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 20.5 mg
- Sodium 360.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 5.9 g