Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
from the book "slow cooking" by Joanna White. I've made some minor changes.
Make and share this Beer Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 -5 carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 -3 stalks celery, cut into chunks or slices
- 4 potatoes, cut in cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) can beer
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 -4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- Cut the beef into 1" squares.
- Put all but the flour and butter into a slow cooker.
- Put the cooker on low and cook 8-10 hours.
- After 8-10 hours, mix the butter with the flour into a paste.
- Stir the paste into the stew.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper or anything else you desire.
- Turn cooker onto high and allow to thicken, maybe 20 minutes.
I am very sorry but this recipe turned out inedible for me. The only change I made was to the amount of beer. Since a bottle is 12 oz. I had to open a second bottle to get the full 16. The liquid didn't come close to covering the meat and veggies though so I poured in the rest of the beer and added some water until it did. As it cooked, it started to give off a bitter, rancid smell. When I sampled it, the taste was also very bitter and it left a pretty bad aftertaste. The only thing I can think of is if maybe the oregano is supposed to be fresh not dried. Other than that, I'm not sure what could have made it so bitter. Unfortunately, I am now working on coming up with something else for supper. I'm sorry.