Recipe by mysticalmagical
A nice quick spice cake. I usually make it at Christmas. Just added walnuts to the ingredients list, sorry I forgot them the first time!
Top Review by Soup Fly *
I made this for a friend's 21st birthday and it smelled fabulous while baking! I was a little surprised to see the instructions to fold in the walnuts because they aren't listed in the ingredients, but I just happened to have some left from another recipe. I baked for 40 minutes and the outer edges were a tad dry, so next time I make this I will probably adjust the cooking temp/time a little. The flavor was very good.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup beer
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon, allspice baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Add flour mixture alternately with beer and mix well to combine.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour into a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.