Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
- 3 lbs uncooked sausages (, such as sweet or hot Italian sausages, bratwurst, or chorizo)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups beer, as needed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- mustard (for serving)
- Prick each sausage a half-dozen times with a needle or pin stuck in a cork.
- Arrange the onion slices on the bottom of a saute pan just large enough to hold all the sausages.
- Place the sausages on top and add beer and water to cover (the ratio should be 3 parts beer to 1 part water).
- Place the pan over medium heat and gradually bring the liquid to a simmer, not a rapid boil.
- Poach the sausages until half-cooked, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sausages to a rack on baking sheet to drain, or drain in a colander.
- Separate the sausages into links.
- Set up grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high.
- When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate.
- Lightly brush the sausages on all sides with oil and place on the hot grate.
- Grill until the casings are crisp and nicely browned and the sausages are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- You may want to rotate the sausages 90 degrees after 2 minutes on each side to create an attractive crosshatch of grill marks.
- Should flare-ups arise, move the sausages to a different section of the grill.
- Use a slender metal skewer to test for doneness.
- Insert it into the center of one of the sausages: It should come out hot to the touch.
- Transfer the sausages to plates or a platter and let rest for 3 minutes.
- Serve with plenty of mustard.