Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A firm solid loaf with a subtle flavor.
Make and share this Beer & Rye Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Sprinkle yeast over sugar & water. Allow to soften 10 minutes.
- Stir in half cup flour and allow to stand til bubbles form.
- Add salt, milk, beer, white and rye flour and caraway seeds.
- Mix dough til it is thick.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface til smooth an elastic.
- Return to bowl, cover, and let rise til doubled in bulk about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down and form into 2 loaves.
- Place loaves in buttered pans.
- Let rise til double.
- Bake 400F 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 and bake until loaves are done. (golden brown).
This makes delicious, dense and fragrant rye bread. Lovely toasted for breakfast with tea or used in a pastrami sandwich. I did need a little over 1 cup extra white bread flour to get the dough to a kneadable consistency, but I think that may have been because of the particular rye flour I was using. (Half very finely milled and half quite coarse.) The dough was pretty sticky even in the end, but baked up nicely. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.