Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy way to poach your halibut steaks, the veggies & beer enhances the flavor of the halibut
- 6 ounces pilsner beer or 6 ounces other light beer
- 4 ounces fish stock or 4 ounces vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper
- 2 (6 ounce) halibut steaks
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Place the halibut steaks in one layer in a skillet with a lid.
- Add all the other ingredients except the onion& butter.
- Bring to a boil covered reduce heat and cook 1 minute.
- Strain off 1 cup of liquid, put the lid back on the skillet, remove from heat source and allow the fish to finish cooking 5-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the halibut (the steam inside the skillet will be enough to finish cooking the fish).
- Meanwhile bring the cup of liquid to a boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered until the liquid is reduced to apprx 1/3 cup, add the onions& whisk in the butter.
- Remove the halibut from the skillet (it should be opaque and flake easily when touched with a fork).
- Serve the sauce over the halibut steaks.
Thanks for a great recipe,we loved it and will make again. As above thanks for sharing.Linda
Our favourite fish steaks, halibut. These were a very good variation, quite a different taste. I used veggie broth and had to use yellow onion, had no red. Very easy to make and just the right amount for two. We enjoyed these and they will definately be made again, thanks for sharing Bergy!!