Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
I'm not sure where I got this recipe from. I wanted to post it here for safe keeping. I will be making this for my Christmas baskets. The prep time is allowing for the soaking process.
- 1 cup mustard seeds
- 2 cups lager beer
- 1 1⁄3 cups malt vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- In a small bowl combine the mustard seeds, lager, and malt vinegar. Cover and soak overnight.
- Strain the liquid and reserve in a separate container.
- Place the soaked seeds in a food processor and pulse 7 to 8 times.
- In a double boiler, place the cracked seeds and add the strained liquid, allspice, pepper, salt, sugar, dry mustard, garlic, and horseradish.
- Cook about 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool, then refrigerate.
Great recipe, my husband and i both really like it. I have made it to give to family for the holidays this year too - i left out the allspice though, i'm just not much of a fan.
This is a nice spicy mustard, with a pleasant texture and appearance. It was very spicy when the ingredients were first combined, so I omitted the horseradish. The flavor did mellow out a bit with cooking, but it still plenty hot for my taste. I used Shiner black lager, but unfortunately wasn't able to distinguish any addition it made to the taste. I also felt uncertain about the food processor step - I wasn't able to get to a stage of "cracked" mustard seeds, only from whole seeds straight to ground mustard. My yield was about 2 cups, but I think that would be more than 6 servings!