Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a sweet, dark and luscious-rich sauce that makes any piggie taste great, particularly ribs. It also works on chicken, and don't forget a grilled veggie kabob, with maybe summer squash, onions and peppers! If using on meat, brush on only during the last 15 minutes of grilling ... the sugar content can and will burn if applied too early.
- 1 1⁄4 cups chili sauce (I use a 12 oz. jar of Homade chili sauce, my favorite)
- 3⁄4 cup light molasses
- 6 ounces bottles beer
- 2 tablespoons ballpark yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or 2 teaspoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat; stir occasionally.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens and reduces slightly (about 30 minutes).
- Cool completely.
- Can make a week ahead.
This is a terrific bbq sauce recipe and is quite simple to put together. The only change that I made was adding 2 tablespoons of dried chopped onions(just a personal preference).
I wrote a review this morning just after I had made the sauce and said it had a wonderful flavor - no way it is awesome! I used it on chicken legs -baked the legs until 3/4 done without the sauce added the sauce and had them at 350F for a further 30 minutes uncovered. Now this is how a chicken leg should taste - best chicken legs I have had in . ages just enough spice to give a kick to the taste buds. Can't wait to try it with Pork & I think beef too. Thanks EdsGirlAngie for a really really good sauce