4 hrs 20 mins
The Women's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery was my main resource as a teen learning to cook. This marinade from that book was my Dad's favorite marinade for steak -- almost always bone-in chuck steak. Every time I use it I think of Dad and remember how he taught me to grill on the little hibatchi that perched on the side of the useless, brick fireplace some previous owner of the house had built. Come taste a memory with me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 lbs bone-in chuck steaks (about 3/4-inch thick)
- 12 ounces beer
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (Dad used corn oil, I use Canola oil today.)
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (I generally use 1/2 tsp anymore) (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (I use 1/4 tsp fresh-ground)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard (I sometimes substitute 1 tsp Heinz Brown prepared mustard)
- 1Slice onion paper-thin.
- 2Peel garlic clove and put it through the garlic press.
- 3Combine all marinade ingredients and stir well.
- 4Pour marinade over steaks. Marinade 4-6 hours, turning steaks periodically. Do NOT over-marinade because beer marinades make the steak bitter if soaked too long.
- 5Preheat your grill. You want a medium-high heat -- enough to get some good sizzle. There's no beating the flavor you get from a charcoal grill, but a gas grill will do the job. I do NOT recommend trying this on an electric, tabletop grill.
- 6Grill 7-10 minutes per side or until you reach the desired doneness.
- 7As you cook, drop a few bits of the onions from the marinade onto the coals or burner-covers to make an aromatic smoke which flavors the meat in a way really sets this recipe apart from other beer marinades.
- 8The marinade will have tenderized the steak significantly, but if you cook it well-done it will almost certainly be tough anyway so I recommend medium-rare to medium.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Marinated Chuck Steak for the Grill
Serving Size: 1 (48 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 725.0
- Calories from Fat 523
- Total Fat 58.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 135.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 42.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: