Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
All of the flavors of mac n' cheese in the form of a hot bowl of soup! Submitted by Kevin Lynch
Make and share this Beer Mac N Cheese Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch slices (omit and replace with 2 tablespoons of oil or butter for vegetarian)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable broth
- beer (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat and set aside on paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the grease in the pan.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Mix in the flour and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, beer, nutmeg, bacon and macaroni and let cook until the macaroni is al-dente, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the cream, mustard, worcestershire sauce and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted without bringing it back to a boil.
- Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
Can I review twice to give this 10 stars? Well, this was fabulous and easy! I used less bacon than called for (actually 4 T. of bacon crumbles like one uses on salad), also only about 2 T. of bacon grease. DH loved it, too. Thanks AZ!