Recipe by Ambervim
It is not jam in the classic sense, it is more a preserved sauce. Use a stout beer to make this dark syrup. Lovely to glaze beef or pair with a wedge of well aged cheddar.
- 48 ounces stout beer
- 2 lbs sugar
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 10 allspice berries
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 slice orange zest
- 8 ounces pectin (homemade, NOT commercial powdered pectin)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy bottomed pan over high heat bring the beer, sugar lemon juice, vanilla, allspice, cloves, star anise and orange zest to a boil.
- Remove from heat, transfer to storage container and refrigerate overnight or up to 5 days.
- Strain the liquid and save the vanilla for another use.
- Pour into a large wide pot, stir in the pectin, and bring to a boil over high heat being sure it does not boil over.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mix reaches about 215 F and has the texture of a light syrup, 20-25 minutes.
- Use standard canning techniques to finish seal in 6 half pint and 1 4 oz jars.
- Does not include refrigeration time.