Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is combination of Brussels waffles and Liege waffles. The sugar chunks caramelize as you cook, which makes them crunch and delicious. Light enough to serve with syrup for breakfast, but rich enough to serve with ice cream or sauces for dessert.
- Whisk together dry ingredients, except pearl sugar.
- Whisk together wet ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into waffle iron, one at a time, then quickly sprinkle a handful of pearl sugar over the top before closing the top. This will evenly caramelize the sugar throughout the waffle.
- These will cook sooner than the ordinary waffle because of the pearl sugar. Watch them closely and don't let the iron automatically tell you when they're done. This will result in over-caramelized (possibly burnt) sugar and an astringent aftertaste.