Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My husband's best friend's recipe for hush puppies. Crunchy with a spicy bite. Thanks Skip.
Top Review by StephanieNS
I had mixed feelings about this recipe. One thing I noticed was that you can really taste the beer, which I wasn't too crazy about. These were good for a change of pace but I don't think I will be making them again, they just aren't right for my tastes. Thanks for the recipe though, it was fun making hush puppies for the first time.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup beer
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, add the first 5 ingredients; stir to combine.
- Add eggs, beer, onion, and jalapeno pepper; stir to combine.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into 1-inch deep hot oil (365°); cook a few at a time, turn once.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes or until hush puppies are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel lined plates; serve hot.