Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband's best friend's recipe for hush puppies. Crunchy with a spicy bite. Thanks Skip.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup beer
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, add the first 5 ingredients; stir to combine.
- Add eggs, beer, onion, and jalapeno pepper; stir to combine.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into 1-inch deep hot oil (365°); cook a few at a time, turn once.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes or until hush puppies are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel lined plates; serve hot.
I had mixed feelings about this recipe. One thing I noticed was that you can really taste the beer, which I wasn't too crazy about. These were good for a change of pace but I don't think I will be making them again, they just aren't right for my tastes. Thanks for the recipe though, it was fun making hush puppies for the first time.
These were so good!! Next time I will add more jalapeno to give them a little more KICK!! Loved them! Thanks!
Although this recipe says in the description that the hushpuppies are crunchy, I found them to be alittle on the tough side, other than that they were pretty good.(I may have done something wrong to cause mine to be tough, I'm not sure) also after making the first batch I noticed that it needed a bit more salt so I added more to the batter. I like the flavor of the beer,jalapeno and onions though. Thanks for sharing!