Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Chunks of tender stew beef and also ground beef are what makes this recipe truly "meaty". Extra flavor from beer really sets this chili recipe apart. A favorite of mine, always was in my head and decided to finally write it down and submit it. Feel free to play with the spices to your taste, everyone is different!
- 3⁄4 lb stewing beef (cut to 1 inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili starter
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, beans- drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen white corn
- 2 (15 ounce) canspetite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Brown stew meat in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Halfway through browning stew meat, add in the ground beef. Continue until brown and cooked through.
- Drain off grease.
- Add in chopped onion and garlic. Cook 3 minutes. (add mushrooms now if desired).
- Season meat with all of the seasonings, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, cayenne, and onion powder.
- Continue to cook on med-high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cans of tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, chili starter, bottle of beer, and corn.
- Stir well to combine, simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped cilantro if desired now.
- Cover and cook on low for 1-2 hours. Adjust the flavor with additional seasonings if needed.
- Serve with white corn chips, shredded montery jack cheese, and sour cream.