Recipe by Wildflower5656
The day before I gave birth to my son, I made this dish to enter into a chili contest at my husband's work. We won second place, even though we were unable to attend because I was in the hospital giving birth at that point! It takes a little bit of effort to make, but once all the ingredients are in, it's just a matter of waiting for the flavors to meddle. If I can make this dish 9 months pregnant, anyone can! Well worth the effort!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 large onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 0.5 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄4 ounces dark chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup of crushed corn tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onion and garlic, and cook over medium-low heat in 2 TB of oil until translucent. Remove.
- Sprinkle stew meat with Worcestershire sauce and coat in flour. Add to pan, with remaining oil and cook over medium-high heat until edges are brown; remove.
- Deglaze pan with chicken stock, and add chocolate to melt. Add beer (slowly! It may foam a bit), chipotle peppers in adobo, tomatoes, onions, garlic, meat and spices.
- Stir, cover, and let simmer on low for 4 hours.
- Add crushed tortillas to thicken sauce.
- Stir in beans and allow to simmer an additional 2 hours.
- Refrigerate overnight. Reheat and serve.