Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm not sure if this came from a published recipe or not, but it's been a family favorite. You can make it as mild or as hot as you like. I recently made this for a chili party and out of the 7 different kinds of chili recipes that were there, this was the only one that was empty at the end of the night. In order for it to be a thicker chili you must use the Carol Shelby's chili seasoning mix that come in the little brown box. If you don't use this mix, it will be more like soup than chili.
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer, of your choice
- 1 (46 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans (mild or hot)
- 1 (8 ounce) can chili beans (mild or hot)
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb ground beef (browned and drained)
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 chopped green pepper (optional or desired amount)
- 1 (8 ounce) package chili seasoning mix (Carol Shelby specifically)
- garnish with sour cream or shredded cheese or saltines or Fritos corn chips
- Brown and drain 1 lb.of hamburger.
- While browning hamburger, empty V-8 Juice and Beer into a large stock pot, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer; add all remaining ingredients, EXCEPT CHILI PACKAGE SPICES (add beef, beans, onion, green pepper, tomatoes etc.).
- Open chili spice package. You will find 4 packets of different spices.
- Add larger package of chili spices first and stir.
- Add salt packet to taste (I usually end up adding all of this one); stir.
- Add small cayenne pepper packet to taste (optional). Will be extremely hot & spicy if all is added. I usually add 1/4 to 1/2 of packet).
- If you like thick chili, follow directions on package for use of masa flour to thicken.
- Continue to simmer and stir. It's ready to eat when heated all the through. The longer it simmers the spicier it will get. My mom used to let it simmer for an hour or more when I was younger. If you decide to simmer longer than 20 minutes, after last ingredient is added, turn the heat down to low.
- We like to garnish with sour cream, crackers, shredded cheese and/ or Fritos. I also noticed at the chili party that some people added spaghetti noodles to their chili.
This is great chili. If you use the Carrol Shelby's Chili kit you get Masa flower that thickens the chili. This is our standard now. Substitute Sausage for the ground beef for a bit more spice.
The recipe was delicious, but it was more like Chili soup than Chili, which traditionally is very thick. But if you get over that prejudice, you can truly enjoy it. I made this recipe with the following 2 differences: (1) I used ChilliMan seasoning mix instead of the 4-part 4-oz. chili seasoning mix that the author talked about. (2) Instead of 8 oz. of chili beans and 8 oz. of Kidney beans, I used a 16 oz. can a medium chili beans.
Just finished making this recipe and served it to my family, kind of. We submitted tomato paste and sauce for the V8. It went over very well. Even my non-carnivorous son ate his fair share. Great recipe!