Prep 20 mins
Cook 48 hrs
This will keep for weeks in a crock in the refrigerator . . . . also a lovely hostess gift.
- 1⁄2 onion, cut into pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup flat beer
- In a food processor, place onion, garlic, mustard, catsup, horseradish, cream cheese, 1/3 of the Cheddar and 1/2 of the beer. Process for 40 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add remaining beer and another 1/3 of the Cheddar. Process another 60 seconds. Scrape down sides again and add remaining cheese. Process another 60 secnds.
- Let "ripen" in the refrigerator in a covered bowl for several hours -- a couple days is better.
- Let stand at room temperature until it reaches spreading consistency.
I really enjoyed this recipe. I will cut back on the onion and garlic a little next time, because their strong flavors do continue to develop with standing. I think if I do that then more of the beer flavor will shine through. It is great served with pretzels. Thank you for submitting this.
This was a great Spread and better the longer it set! This will go int the must keep file for sure!