Recipe by Mom2Rose
A creamy homemade soup fills a warm and tasty, just-baked bread bowl in just 30 minutes.
Top Review by Elmotoo
I doubled the recipe & as written it came out more like a cheese sauce. I wish I had added an extra 1-2c chicken broth. But it was very tasty! Except the kids wouldn't eat it. :( I used an extremely flavorful Belgian Doppelbock. I also skipped the bread bowls since we don't care for them. Made for Aussie swap 1/10.
- 2 pillsbury French bread (Oven Baked frozen crusty French mini-loaves from 13.1-oz bag)
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 59.14 ml half-and-half
- 170.09 g American cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 59.14 ml beer or 59.14 ml non-alcoholic beer
- chopped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake mini-loaves as directed on bag.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add broth and half-and-half, cooking and stirring until thickened.
- Add cheese, Worcestershire sauce and beer.
- Reduce heat to low; cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted and flavors are blended.
- Remove loaves from oven; cool 10 minutes.
- Cut top off each loaf.
- Lightly press centers of loaves down to form bowls.
- Place each bread bowl in individual shallow soup plate.
- Spoon soup into each bread bowl.
- Sprinkle with chives.
- Place top of each loaf next to filled bread bowl.