Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This Wisconsin Beer Cheese Soup is my absolute favorite! My friends and I can’t get enough; it’s excellent for parties, tale gaiting, in front of the fireplace or while watching a good movie. And somehow, it tastes even better when it is snowing outside. The Leinie's Red gives it a unique flavor that will surpass standard "beer" recipes.
- 6 cups chicken stock (low sodium broth works excellent!)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter (4 ounces = 1 stick)
- 1 cup minnesota wild rice
- 6 -10 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped into large chunks (roughly 8 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 -4 cups leinenkugel's red lager beer (3 bottles)
- 4 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (Use Wisconsin-made cheddar, such as Sargento ChefStyle Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese. ChefStyle tast)
- Cook wild rice, set aside (or you can use precooked wild rice from the can).
- Cook bacon, chop & then set aside.
- Sauté onion and mushrooms in (2 tbsp) butter until tender. Set aside (or dump into bacon & rice pan/bowl to save room).
- Warm (6 tbsp) butter in a small pan, add flour and cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently, which will make a nice (roux) paste. Set aside.
- Bring chicken stock to a low boil.
- Stir in flour/butter mixture until dissolved.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning. Add sour cream, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic powder, celery salt, ground mustard, Tabasco, & pepper.
- Add wild rice, bacon, mushrooms, & onion, then stir in cheese until completely melted.
- Cook on low-medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly add Lienie's Red and cook for 15 - 30 minutes on med-low, stirring frequently (adjust consistency by adding more Leinie’s or flour if necessary). Careful to not hard boil.
- Add additional pepper, wild rice, bacon and/or mushrooms to taste.
- Garnish with additional bacon and/or popcorn and a couple shreds of cheese. Side with a sourdough boule or similar fresh bread; when tail-gaiting use sourdough croutons.
- Freeze it, gift it, love it. This is THE soup that all your friends will want the recipe for!
- Ignore nutrition facts –if your worried about fat or calories you probably shouldn’t make beer cheese soup : ) Bon Appétit !
no one in my family cared for this. DH & friend ate it, but they said not to make again
This was unbelievably delicious! Not only was it the best soup I have ever made but honestly it was the best soup I have ever tasted! Super easy to make and so yummy! My family said I have to make this every week...with all the calories I told them maybe once a month! Thank You so much for the recipe! BTW I could not find Leinenkugel beer so I just used Sam Adams Red Lager instead, I also deleted the tabasco sauce as we don't like spicy foods...other than that followed recipe perfectly! 5 STARS!!