Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from Baby Doe's, a now closed restaurant in Kansas City. It always gets rave reviews from family and friends.
- 1⁄2 gallon milk (reserve 2 cups)
- 4 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced and cooked
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion (sauteed)
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 bottle Cheez Whiz
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- Heat milk until warm and steaming.
- Stir in chicken base, worcestershire sauce, and tabasco.
- Add corn starch to reserved milk and blend until smooth.
- Add to soup and stir constantly until thick.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add cooked bacon and sauteed onion.
- Add beer and stir to blend.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
Very smooth and creamy, and the worcestershire and tabasco give it the perfect kick! The only negative I would have is that I seemed to taste the "yeast" flavor from the beer a bit.
My husband and I used to eat the Beer Cheese Soup at Baby Doe's Restaurant in Denver. We were disapointed in this recipe, it did not taste even close to what we remember. The soup was smooth and creamy but there was too much bacon and, between the bacon and Cheez Whiz, the soup was way too salty for our tastes. I agree with LorenLou in that the beer gave the soup a yeasty taste. Will try a different recipe next time.