Recipe by carolinajen4
I fell in love with beer cheese soup at a local brewhouse in Columbus. That restaurant went out of business quite a while ago and I still miss that soup! I found this recipe in our local paper and I can't wait to make it for next weekend's Buckeye game! YUM! I added the garlic croutons and dash of paprika since I'm trying to replicate that old soup that I love. It would also be great in a sourdough bread bowl! MMMmmm. I love fall weather.
Top Review by guerapollera2003
Deeeeeeeeeeee-licious! I improvised a little bit due to what I had available. I used quartered Hormel pepperoni slices because I didn't have bacon. Instead of bacon fat, I used 3T. of butter to saute and I added some celery salt into the butter while sauteeing, because I didn't have celery. Also, I used an 8 oz. pckg. of cheddar plus several slices of Kraft singles b/c that's what I had. This made it creamier and not so sandy/grainy- textured. To keep from getting that texture, turn off heat AS SOON AS cheese is melted! Don't simmer to "meld" flavors- they'll already be perfectly melded. I also added some green onions and parsley for a little more color. YUMMMMMMY!!
- 12 ounces beer (nothing too dark, light beers work as well)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (not in the recipe I remember) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic-flavored croutons, to garnish
- paprika, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Open beer and let stand while you dice the veggies. Saute bacon until crisp (if using); drain, reserving drippings, crumble bacon.
- Saute veggies in 2 tablespoons of reserved bacon grease until soft. Add chicken broth.
- Fill empty broth can with beer and add to mixture. (save, DO NOT DRINK, the remaining beer!) Bring to boil, then simmer.
- Pour remaining beer into mixing bowl (told you not to drink it) and whisk in flour.
- Gradually add to broth, stirring constantly, until thick. Add Half & Half, bacon (if desired) and cheese.
- Heat until cheese melts. Stir in sugar. Add salt, pepper to taste.
- After ladeling into bowls, garnish with croutons and paprika.