Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from a TV station's database and appears to be adapted from one of the Southern Living Cookbooks.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 12 ounces beer
- 16 ounces Cheese Whiz, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper, ground
- 1⁄3 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ground red pepper
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or large sauce pan over medium-low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add half-and-half and beer. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until thickened.
- Add cheese cubes.
- Cook over medium heat until cheese melts.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoons red pepper, hot sauce and salt.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle with additional red pepper before serving.
I subbed Velveeta for Cheezwhiz. I also sautéed some jalapeno with the onion at the beginning.
Oh my! How awesome is this? It is great! I sweated some onions in the butter before I added the flour, Then used half milk half chicken broth instead of half and half (just because I didn't feel like going to the store..LOL) and a lite beer. Used Velveeta, since I have never seen Cheez Whiz I could cube. Had no red pepper so I used some hot sauce! Wonderful! Will be making all winter long! Thanks!