Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I don't like too many soups, but I can eat so many bowls of this one. I served this at a dinner party, and one person ate 10 bowls of it! Found on a Budweiser recipe card.
- Cook bacon, then set aside.
- Saute onion and carrot in butter until tender.
- Set aside.
- Warm butter in a small pan, add flour and cook for 5 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently.
- Set aside.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Stir in flour/butter mixture until dissolved.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Add onion, carrot, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, tabasco, and bacon.
- Cook on low-medium heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cheese until completely melted, add beer and cook for 15 minutes on low, stirring frequently, and serve.
I thought this was very good, but my meat and potatoes husband did not. I converted the ounces to 10 tablespoons of flour and 5 tablespoons of butter. This worked out well.
I use to work at a little diner here in Stafford, Virginia and I remember my boss making beer cheese soup for the lunch crowd. Now, I've got to tell you, I hated it. There was just the most disgusting smell to it, and then the taste just made it that much worse, lol. Surprisingly the soup was a really great seller with the lunch crowd, and I remember serving quite "a few" bowls/cups of it. So dispite my loathing this soup, I would recommend it. You are very likely to enjoy it just by statistics alone, lol.