Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a slightly sweet bread, dense textured bread that is really easy to make and delicious with Cheese and Beer Soup. I like to make it around Oktoberfest or anytime during the fall and winter.
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup beer (amber)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a large (9-inch) loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mic together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl mix together the egg, oil beer and milk.
- Gently fold into the flour mixture, just until mixed.
- Gently fold in the cheese.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centr comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
The texture and taste of the bread is really good; however, I'm wondering if the baking powder ingredient has a typo. My bread rose up really high in the middle --the rest of the bread looked just right. I also added 1 cup cheese--and think more cheese could be used. Will make again with less leavening.