Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
For years I have been hearing about roasting a whole chicken on the barbecue while using a can of beer as a sort of steamer/baster. I had no idea what I was doing when I tried it myself, but I was game to try and this is the recipe that I ended up making. It turned out quite juicy and tasty. I also used some beer to baste the outside of the chicken at the same time by using a basting brush.
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs chicken
- 1 can beer (your choice, I prefer to use Heinekin)
- salt and pepper
- garlic granules, to taste
- Preheat barbecue.
- Carefully place chicken onto to open beer can (you may cut the top off the can of beer if you wish).
- Rub the salt, pepper, sage and garlic onto the outside of chicken.
- For those who like extra garlic, either half or quarter some cloves of garlic; using a knife, slice some little holes all over the bird and stuff the garlic into those holes.
- Carefully place your chicken with the beer can in its cavity onto the grill.
- To help balance it, pull the legs of the chicken slightly forward to rest on the grill.
- Cook the chicken on low-medium heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until skin is crisp and the juices run clear.
- Remove with tongs and let the chicken sit for about 10-15 minutes until the chicken and beer can is cool enough to handle.
- Once chicken is cooled, remove from beer can (discard beer can and any left over contents) and slice up bird as you ordinarily would.
Our family loves chicken done this way. You can actually purchase a beer butt can holder on the internet, Lowe's (a home improvement store, or WalMart. Makes the chicken stand up better and supports the beer can.
made this tonight and was really juicy, thanks for sharing.
I haven't tried this particular recipe - but have trie the Beer Can Chicken. It is so juicy and tasty! I add a touch of liquid smoke to my beer when I cook it in the oven. I have found the "ChickCAN" holders at WalMart in the beer section - they hold the chicken upright and sturdy and has a place to set the can. I hate when the chicken falls over on the grill!