Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
such a fun way to cook a chicken its almost comical, not to mention it comes out so moist & tender. i found a beer can holder at target for 10 bucks which is well worth it since the fluid inside the beer can will start to boil & can easily knock your bird over...trust me, i speak from experience.
- 4 lbs whole chickens
- 0.5 (12 ounce) can dark beer
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- your favorite barbecue rub, below
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon rotisserie seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- rinse chicken and pat dry. season inside the chicken cavity with salt and pepper.
- make small incisions in chicken skin at the top & bottom of each breast.
- stick your finger in the hole & move around to separate the skin from meat taking care to not tear the skin.
- stuff bbq rub under the skin, you can repeat this step for the thighs.
- add remaining rub to melted butter and rub some over the outside of the bird, use to baste chicken while cooking.
- drink half of the beer (half the fun!) & add ingredients 3-7 into the can.
- place beer can into holder and insert inside chicken cavity & seal neck opening with a piece of potato or lemon.
- set bird on a baking sheet covered with tin foil and bbq at 300 degrees for 2 hours basting often with seasoned butter.
- the skin will get really dark (but not blackened) & crispy when its done.
- be careful when removing the can from the birds cavity. i've found the best way to do this without spilling scalding beer on yourself is to lay the chicken on its side on the baking sheet & use tongs to remove slowly.
- let the bird rest for 15 minutes before cutting.