Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
An excellent burger and the onions piled on top of the burger are great. This recipe is one of my DH's favorites.
Beer Braised Onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons beer
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices cheese (your choice)
- Onions: melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add 3/4 cup beer, sugar, and salt. Cook until all the beer has been absorbed by the onions and they begin to brown slightly, about 18 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup beer and bring to a simmer. Keep onions warm.
- Burgers: In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the ground chuck, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper. Gently form into 4 patties, handling as little as possible so as not to make the burgers tough.
- Grill burgers to your desired degree of doneness.
- Toast buns on the grill.
- Serve burgers on the toasted buns topped with the cheese, beer braised onions and ketchup.
Great burger! We used a red onion and each tried a different cheese (pepper jack, provolone, white American) and were all quite happy.
My only gripe is that the onions were so good we needed more! Lg Texas sweet onions, an old pasbt blue ribbon, and provolone cheese. I wasn't expecting much because the beer was old (left over from when my BIL was visiting- not even a kind we drink!) The ground beef was a little freezer burnt, and the hot sauce was a little outdated. Even with al of those things factored in DH easily gave this 5 stars. I couldn't stop picking at the simmering onions while we waited for the burgers. This recipe is going in my cookbook for sure!
a five star meal for sure! I agree, the onions are awesome! Its a keeper, for sure. We used 1lb of burger, and made 4 smaller ones. Delicious!