Prep 2 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Another good way to grill chicken from Fine Cooking magazine.
Make and share this Beer-Brined Butterflied Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (4 lb) chicken
- 3⁄4 cup kosher salt, plus
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar, plus
- 1⁄2 teaspoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper, plus
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 bay leaves, crumbled
- 2 (12 ounce) canscold lager beer (like Budweiser)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch dried oregano, crushed
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Butterfly chicken.
- In a large bowl, combine the 3/4 cup kosher salt, 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, 1 tablespoons pepper, and bay leaves. Add 4 cups very hot water and stir to dissolve the salt and sugar. Add beer and stir well to remove the carbonation.Add about 4 cups ice cubes to cool the brine rapidly. WHen the ice has melted and brine is cool, put the chicken in the brine. Refrigerate, coverered, for 2-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix the 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoons pepper with the paprika, cerely salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and cayenne.
- Remove chicken from the brine and let it air dry for 10 minutes.
- When ready to cook, blot chicken dry with paper towels. Brush or rub both sides of the chicken with the oil and sprinkle with the spice mixture. Tuck wingtips under breast. Grill, covered, over indirect heat until juices run clear and meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thich registers 175-180 degrees, 40-50 minutes. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before cutting into quarters and serving.
Really great -- Was a little worried about all the sugar in the "brine" making the chicken too sweet... but not all all. Cooked 2 whole chickens on the grill for 50 minute, and they came out just right. The seasonings were great the was perfectly done -- nice and tender, juicy with great crispy skin. THANKS FOR POSTING! Will make again.
I have made this recipe a couple of times now and it turns out a tasty and moist roast chicken. Highly recommended!