Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is beer bread with some character. Mix it up for dinner or layer ingedients in a jar for gift-giving. From a Holiday Cooking issue of Better Homes and Gardens.
- Stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Place with remaining ingredients in jar, layering if bottle is clear.
- GIFT TAG DIRECTIONS: Place jar contents in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir in one 12-oz.
- can or bottle of beer just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cover with foil during the last 10 minutes of baking if necessary to prevent overbrowning.
- Remove from oven and brush with butter, if desired.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Serve warm or cool completely on a wire rack.
I gave this mix away as Christmas gifts mixed up in plastic zip lock bags tucked into a red lunch sack along with a bottle of beer. Finally, after all this time (it's almost Easter now) I figured I should make it to see what it tasted like. It is a very good and unusual tasting beer bread. It doesn't get the usual quick bread rounded shape, it is almost flat on top. I used corn flour in place of the corn meal as it has a finer texture. (Corn flour is available from Bob's Red Mill). For my Christmas mixes, I used Kraft pre-grated Parmesan cheese, but I did use fresh grated for my own. I also melted 1/4 cup butter and poured over the top prior to baking. It was great! LonghornMama, thank you for posting a wonderful recipe!
This is so good! It is like a cross between cornbread and beer bread. I can't wait to try it with sharp cheddar and green chilies in place of the parmesan and red pepper flakes. I think it might also be good just plain without the cheese or peppers with just jelly on top. This recipe is so versatile!
This is fabulous bread! I made up a loaf just to give it a try. DH and I loved it! I added a cup of shredded cheese to the batter and 1tsp of minced garlic too. Turned out great! This is a keeper for sure. Its so easy to put together and done in a flash. Thanks for sharing the recipe.