Recipe by Sonya01
Dark ale or stout makes a darker loaf. Makes a 20cm round.
Top Review by NurseJaney
Prepared for Recipe Swap #14, served with "Recipe#287619"- had to add salt, baking powder, and baking soda to wholemeal flour, but it WORKED !! Used Sam Adams Boston Ale, an entire bottle (12 0z.), and had a brown , but light and fluffy bread, seasoned with fresh parsley and dried chives. This was quickly and easily put together and will do again ! Thanks, Sonya01, for a tasty winter treat !
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons packed soft brown sugar
- 60 g cold butter, diced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped mixed fresh parsley, and (optional)
- fresh chives (optional)
- 375 ml beer, at room temperature
- cheddar cheese, shavings to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced.
- Lightly grease a 20cm (base measurement) springform pan.
- Place flour, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a large mixing bowl. Rub in butter using fingers until crumble. Stir in herbs. Pour in beer slowly (it will foam); mix lightly to make a soft dough (don't overmix). Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan; turn out onto a wire rack. Serve bread warm or cold with cheese.