Recipe by Chef Kiddle
A different twist from kielbasa and cabbage.
Top Review by CindiJ
What a perfect supper on a cold and blustery winter night! Very, very good! I did edit the recipe to what I had on hand. I used 2 lbs. of brats, 3/4 of the green pepper, 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 fresh tomato chopped, 2 tsp. Italian seasoning, 2 bay leaves and 1 TBS olive oil. I got over 1/2 cup of fat off of microwaving the brats (did in 2 batches 5 minutes each time) sliced and threw into the pot with the vegetable mixture. We too served over a bed of mashed potatoes. We all loved this! It's very filling without being a heavy, rich meal. Next time I may serve with some crusty bread or biscuits to help sop up the wonderful broth from this dish. Thanks for posting this keeper!!
- 1 lb beer bratwurst
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium cabbage, chopped and washed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candel monte diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Poke holes in the beer bratwurst and pre-cook the package in the microwave for about 4 minutes. (This gets alot of the grease out.) After pre-cooking, cut the bratwurst into 1/2 inch slices and set aside.
- Put onions, bell peppers, and cabbage in a pot with oil. Cover and cook on medium for about 30 minutes. Check it often and stir.
- Add bratwurst, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 20 minutes. Serve.
- (**Use the Del Monte tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano.).