Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a wonderful recipe for Brats that you can serve either on hoagie rolls or on the plate.
- 6 bratwursts
- 6 cups lager beer
- 2 large onions (sliced and divided)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers (cored and sliced)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 6 bratwurst buns (split lengthwise) or 6 hoagie rolls (split lengthwise)
- Prick bratwurst all over with a fork.
- In a medium pot, combine bratwurst, beer and half of the onions. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer about 15 minutes or until bratwurst is firm and cooked through. Transfer bratwurst to a plate. Reserve some of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add remaining onions and bell peppers. Cook about 15 minutes or until very soft, tossing occasionally.
- Add the bratwurst to skillet in the last 5 minutes of cooking to lightly brown. If the onions and bell peppers begin to get too dark, add a few tablespoons of the bratwurst cooking liquid. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- To serve, spread each bun with mustard. Fill each bun with a brat. Top with sauteed peppers and onions.