Recipe by 2Bleu
This is a wonderful dish for those cold winter nights. It's great for Oktoberfest, pot-luck dinners, sports tailgating, and camping. Simple to prepare, easy on a budget, and keeps for several days in the fridge.
Top Review by foodtvfan
Another favorite cabbbage recipe! Easy to make and delicious. Used parboiled small new potatoes, and served with fried onions for my onion loving family, and thick slices of crusty French bread. I'm serving the leftover bratwursts on submarine buns with fried onions, green peppers and mustard.
- 2 lbs bratwursts (about 10 links)
- 1 cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can new potatoes, drained
- 12 ounces lager beer
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Place bratwursts on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until cooked thru.
- Meanwhile, In a large pot, on medium heat, add 2 cups water, the cabbage, vinegar, fennel and mustard seed, bay leaf, and salt. Simmer about 45 minutes till cabbage is soft.
- Add the cooked brats, potatoes, and beer. Season with more salt if desired. Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with dijon mustard, a hearty loaf of rye bread and butter, and cold beer.