Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of the top 10 dishes in the National Pasta Cook Off! Yum, yum.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 15 ounces bratwursts, fresh
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Add oil, garlic, sweet peppers and onions in a 9X13 baking dish and roast in oven for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While roasting vegetables, remove casing from brats, crumble and brown in a skillet over medium heat.
- Drain brats and blot with towel to remove excess grease.
- Return brats to skillet and add beer, simmer.
- Cook pasta as directed, drain, but keep 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Remove vegetables from oven.
- Add, brats, basil, 1/2 cup of cheese to vegetables and mix throughly, add some pasta water if it seems to dry.
- Top with remaining cheese and serve!
Had some defrosted brats in my refrigerator & wanted something different. When I came across this recipe, I thought I'd try it. It's pretty awesome. My husband had 3 helpings!! And he kept saying how strong the flavors were. I did make some substitutions since I didn't have all the ingredients. Used Penne pasta & alcoholic Apple Cider instead of rigatoni & beer. Also, used Colby Jack since it was what i had in the fridge. I had only one green pepper as well, so to add more veggies, I threw in some mushrooms & tomatoes, sliced. And used 1/8 cup of dried basil instead of fresh. I did leave the veggies in the oven longer, since I think the mushrooms & tomatoes made it more liquidy. Again, great recipe!! Love, love, love it!
Based on the review above I've confirmed we'll have this recipe with marinara sauce & fresh parm
I was looking for a way to use 5 brats leftover from a weekend get together. I followed the recipe to a T and it was ok, but just not great for us. My husband thought the sauce needed tomatoes.