Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This delicious recipe came from the National Pasta Assoc's Top 10 favorites. I think it's a real winner.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 15 ounces fresh bratwursts
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 sweet red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to your liking)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix red pepper, onion and garlic with 1 tablespoons olive oil in 9x13" baking dish and roast in oven for 25 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- While vegetables roast, remove casing from bratwurst, crumble and brown in a skillet over medium heat until they are no longer pink and well brown.
- Remove bratwurst and drain on paper towel.
- Pour fat from skillet.
- Add bratwurst and beer to skillet and simmer.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Remove roasted vegetables from oven, immediately add bratwurst from skillet; add basil, red pepper flakes, pasta, 1 cup of cheese and toss to mix thoroughly. If mixture seems too dry, add some of the pasta water to moisten.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over top and serve.
One of mine and my husbands favorite meals!! I've made this several times and just use whatever pasta I have on hand. I add more beer to the simmering brats so I don't have to add water at the end. Great for winter months when you're not using the grill for brats
Easy and good. It also reheats nicely. Next time I would add more garlic, salt, and pepper, and probably use half and half cream or milk instead of the water for a richer, creamier sauce. Thanks for sharing.
This is awesome, my DH loved it. I used beer brats and then just some beef broth in place of the beer. I also used regular spaghetti noodles.