Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Real Simple
Make and share this Beer-Braised Pork and Black Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (12 ounce) bottles beer (preferably lager)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo, plus
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb dried black beans, rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork butt (pork shoulder)
- kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh salsa
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the beer, 3 cups water, the chilies, adobo sauce, cumin, onion, beans, pork, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook, covered, until the beans are tender and the pork pulls apart easily, 4 hours.
- Using a fork, separate the pork into large pieces. Divide among individual bowls and top with the sour cream, salsa, and cilantro.
I love this recipe! Sometimes I put the extra chipotle in the freezer for the next time I make it!
The flavor was fantastic! It's a little fatty because of cooking the pork shoulder and then reserving the dripping as a soup, but you can skim that off after a day in the fridge. I added a little extra chipotle for some more spice.