Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
A spin off of one of my husband's favorite childhood dishes, with a slightly more adult flavor.
Make and share this Beer-Braised Porcupine Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix or 1 (1 ounce) envelope vegetable soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) light beer
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- Mix together the first five ingredients. Shape into balls (I get about 15 walnut sized).
- Combine tomatoes, beer, and chili powder in a large skillet. Heat to boiling over medium heat.
- Carefully place meatballs into hot tomato sauce (they are very fragile so make space for them). Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Most of the liquid will boil off, browning the meatballs. Deglaze the pan with the beef broth and stir in the tomate paste, simmering until a thick sauce forms.
- Serve with cornbread or a crusty loaf.