Beer-Braised Onions & Sausages
- Lightly coat a large wide saucepan with oil and set over medium heat. Prick sausages with a fork, then place in pan. Turn often until browned, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice onions in half. Place cut-side down on a cutting board. Thinly slice into strips.
- Core and seed peppers, then slice into thick strips. When sausages are browned, add onions and peppers to pan. Sprinkle with sugar. Stir frequently until onions start to soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add beer, Dijon and salt. Stir until mustard is blended inches Boil gently, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half and sausages are cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Great with hunks of pumpernickel and sliced dill pickles.
- Tomorrow's lunch: Reheat in the microwave or a frying pan, then tuck sausages, onions and peppers into a hotdog bun.