Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I was making a pizza crust with beer and our son dumped the beer in the frying pan with the green peppers and onions, instead of the bowl with the pizza dough makings and a recipe was born!
- 2 green sweet peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 large white onion, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (see note) (optional)
- In large frying pan, add green peppers, onions and 2 tblsp olive oil. Heat to moderate heat. Stir a few times until onions and peppers are starting to get transparent. Add 6 oz of beer and cover, turn heat down and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Take out of pan and set aside in a bowl.
- To dry frying pan add 2 tblsp olive oil. Heat to moderate high, add shredded potatoes. Note: You may squeeze the potatoes to release and drain the starch and then add 1 tblsp lemon juice to potatoes so they do not turn as brown before cooking.
- Fry without turning. Use spatula to raise edges and raise slightly towards the middle.
- Turn heat down after the underside starts to turn medium brown. It is best to use non stick or heavy commercial skillet.
- Add the other 6 oz of beer, tip the pan and raise the edges so the beer goes on the underside of the potatoes.
- Add the salt and pepper sprinkling on the top of the potatoes.
- Add the reserved cooked peppers and onion mixture. Cover,cook low heat 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take frying pan to the table and cut in wedges and serve with spatula. Sprinkle with cheese for individual taste only.
- Note: My family used ketchup as a condiment for this recipe. Use a very mild mellow lite beer.
I followed instructions to the letter, especially #10 & used a light beer. I also added 1 tbsp splenda to the beer just before adding. This was quite unique. I really liked it. Thanks for a special recipe!
Very bitter taste, it may have been due to the brand of beer. I normally cook with some hot peppers,what ever I have on hand but don't use the beer. Sorry I will go back to my recipe. I am not sorry that I tried it just didn't like the taste.