Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Don't worry about using beer when cooking. The alcohol burns off and you are left with flavor. It also tenderizes the meat.
- Cut stew beef cubes into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Place cubes in bottom of crock pot.
- Combine all other ingredients and pour over beef.
- Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 - 5 hours.
- Before serving, you can thicken broth with some flour and water. Turn crock pot to high and stir in flour mixture.
- Serve over cooked egg noodle pasta.
- Note: I like to use Negro Modelo which is a dark Mexican beer for this recipe. The dark beer is really nice to cook with.
This was an easy recipe, but not as flavorful as some other stew recipes. Thanks for sharing, though.
I don't know if it was the thyme or maybe cause I used Guiness but this tasted just aweful. I followed the recipe so I don't know what went wrong but I ended up throwing this out.
This is a special Crock Pot recipe- excellent flavor. I turned the cooker on at 12PM on high turned it to low 1 hour later and it was perfect at 6PM. I used Mt Begbie, Revelstoke dark Ale, only 2 lbs of meat but the full sauce recipe. I plan to freeze some of the sauce separately as well as two meat portions with sauce. I added 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with water 15 minutes before serving turned pot to high - I could have added another 1/2 tbsp to thicken it a bit more. Excellent all round recipe thanks Audrey M. — Sep 8, 2005, 1 member found this helpful I took some leftover out of the freezer - super- I did add 1/2 tsp cornstartch mixed in water,The sauce was perfect- Poured over pasta topped wih fried red onion fries Thanks again Audrey. — Oct 4, 2005, 1 member found this helpful Added comments & Picture I kept a container in the freezer defrosted it added a tin of Italian tomatoes, some spices and I had a very tasty spaghetti sauce in less than 15 minutes- sprinkled with Parmesan cheese - great recipe Audrey