I don't like to eat fish, but my DH loves catfish filets. This is a different way of making tofu that kind of tricks you into thinking they are catfish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) package of drained firm tofu (firm works well, but extra firm will make it easier to handle) or 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu (firm works well, but extra firm will make it easier to handle)
- 1 (12 ounce) can cheap beer
- 1 1/2 cups flour (I used whole wheat, but regular white works too)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- tartar sauce or sweet chili sauce
- 1Mix beer and flour in a bowl until you have a thin batter. Sometimes this uses more or less flour. Just adjust until it looks like a thin pancake batter.
- 2In a second bowl, mix remaining 6 ingredients.
- 3Cut tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices. I got about 10 or 12. Place slices on 1 piece of paper towel then place a couple of paper towels on top of the slices and pat to dry a little.
- 4Heat oil in heavy skillet or cast iron pan until one drop of water splashed in spits around the pan.
- 5Carefully dip slices of tofu in beer batter shaking off the excess. Place in cornmeal mixture and tap each side to get coating to stick.
- 6Place in hot oil and fry until golden about 3 minutes each side. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain.
- 7Serve with tartar sauce or sweet chili sauce.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Battered Tofu
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.0
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 116.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
garlic pepper seasoning