Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe I've seen credited to EatingWell.com. I made some slight revisions: more spice, only whole wheat flour, dark beer, less vinegar and lime juice and mint in the salsa instead of cilantro. I omitted the salt entirely. I used a large, shallow frying pan so I was able to cook all the pieces at once.
- 1 mango, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 5 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup dark beer
- 3⁄4 lb tilapia fillet (2 fillets)
- 2 -3 tablespoons corn oil
- Combine the mango, onion, vinegar, lime juice and mint. Let sit in the fridge while preparing fish (if you can refrigerate it for an hour or more, that's even better).
- Combine flour, spices, and beer. Using a whisk helps get any lumps out. Put the batter in a shallow dish.
- Clean and dry the tilapia fillets. Cut in half length-wise.
- Heat the oil in a large shallow frying pan at medium-high heat.
- Coat each piece of fish with batter and place in hot oil.
- Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes - until batter is crusty and fish is white.
- Place fish pieces on paper towels to blot excess oil.
- Serve mango salsa over fish. (I also like to serve it with a side of roasted red potatoes).
- NOTE: If you can't find a ripe mango, you can substitute one kiwi, a few large strawberries and a couple of chunks of pineapple.
Been making this for years now and I realized I have never reviewed it! I actually put the fish and salsa along with a little shredded cheese into flour tortillas and it makes some nice fish tacos! Somewhere down the line I started using basalmic vinegar, and I add 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning in the batter instead of the spices listed. Always a hit for guests, and so easy. Will try with Chicken as someone suggested. Thank you for a lovely recipe!
I tried this recipe with tilapia and with chicken breasts, cut into strips. The chicken was delicious! Thank you!
Cathianne... I was actually searching for a favourite Tilapia recipe (which my family loves) and yours appeared! I looked over at my lovely ripe mango's and changed direction... Mmmm! I am so pleased I did! Our daughter prepared a delightful salad and together we made a rice pilaf... A delightful meal! Thank you for sharing! Keep them coming! Mama Marilyn