Cecily Parsley's Note:
Didn't get the chance to try this this season, but will be doing so next year. It sounds intriguing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cloves from one head roasted garlic, mashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces goat cheese (Chevre)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/3 cups bottled dark beer (341 ml bottle)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- salt and pepper
- 16 zucchini or 16 other squash blossoms, pistils removed if desired
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1To make the filling:
- 2Combine garlic, olive oil, goat cheese and thyme in a small bowl. Mix until smooth, and season with salt and pepper.
- 3For the blossoms:
- 4In a bowl, whisk together beer and egg. Whisk in 1 cup of the flour and continue adding extra flour, 1 tablesppon at a time, until mixture has the consistency of thin pancake batter, Whisk in butter and season to taste with salt, pepper. Let rest 10 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, in a deep heavy pot fitted with with a deep-frying thermometer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375°. Stuff each blossom with a few tablespoons of the goat cheese mixture, and press petals closed.
- 6Working quickly, in small batches, dip filled blossoms into batter, coating each completely; and fry, turning once, for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Use slotted spoon to transfer blossoms onto paper towels to drain. Make sure the oil returns to 375° before adding each new batch of blossoms.
- 7Sprinkle fried blossoms with salt and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Battered Squash Blossoms With Goat Cheese and Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (974 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.3
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 112.9 mg
- Sodium 432.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 26.9 g