1/1 Photo of Beer-Battered Shrimp
2 hrs 2 mins
Plan ahead the beer batter needs to sit for 2 hours at room temperature before using. This recipe makes 1-1/2 pounds of shrimp double the batter recipe if you are planning to make a larger amount. You can store the used shortening for future use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup amber ale (use a light-coloured beer not a dark beer for this, and it MUST be room temperature)
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- black pepper (I use about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 1/2 lbs uncooked large shrimp, peeled, tails left on and deveined
- shortening, for deep-drying (or use oil)
- 1In a medium bowl whisk together 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup room temperature beer and 2 unbeaten egg whites until smooth.
- 2Cover and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- 3After 2 hours, set oven to 250°F (to keep the shrimp warm after you have fried them).
- 4In a large bowl beat the remaining 2 egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 5STIR in about 1/3 of the egg white batter into the beer batter, then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- 6Melt the shortening to 375°F in a heavy large pot or a deep fryer.
- 7Meanwhile place 1 cup flour into a pie dish.
- 8Working in batches, coat the shrimp with flour (shake off any excess flour).
- 9Holding the shrimp by the tail, dip into batter until well coated.
- 10Carefully lower the shrimp a few at a time into hot shortening.
- 11Fry until golden brown and cooked through (about 1 minute per side).
- 12Using tongs transfer the cooked shrimp to a oven-proof baking sheet and keep warm in the preheated oven while cooking the remaining shrimp.
- 13Serve with tartar sauce.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer-Battered Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (1222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1109.7
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 691.2 mg
- Sodium 2764.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 117.5 g