Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
From Cooking Light.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2⁄3 cup beer
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs firm white fish fillets, grouper, catfish or tilapia, cut into 4 x 1 inch strips
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Coat the bottom of a jelly roll or baking pan with vegetable oil.
- Combine flour, pepper, and garlic salt in a large bowl.
- Add beer and stir well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into flour mixture.
- Combine breadcrumbs and parsley in a shallow dish.
- Dip one fish strip into the flour mixture and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining fish strips.
- Lightly coat strips with cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove from oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil the fish strips 1 minute or until tops are lightly browned.
Very good! I added in some old bay seasoning to the panko bread crumbs and served as a fried fish po'boy with remoulade. I froze half before baking, so I'll update the review when I find out how well it worked. Thanks for posting a great way to have lighter "fried" fish!
I really liked this recipe! I made it wheat/gluten free by using the special flour and breadcrumbs. I used plaice, which I wouldn't usually consider battering, but it worked!!! I also added a little cayenne chilli pepper, and my fish hating bf loved it. I served it with quartered baby potatoes, oven roasted in rosemary oil, a tin of peas, and a bottle of Champagne to commiserate the "Emergency Supplementary Budget" the Irish goverment announced today. Thanks for a great recipe!
I thought this was okay. I was making this for fish tacos so I added some seasoning to the batter but all together I thought it was more work than a usual oven fried fish and my fish was done after 10 minutes.