Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These sound delicious and addictive ! Preparation time does not include freezing time.
- 6 large potatoes, washed and dried
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups ice cold sparkling ale
- lemonpepper and salt (to season)
- Cut potatoes into long wedges.
- Arrange in steamer basket.
- Cook for 20 minutes till very tender.
- Lay wedges out on trays in one layer.
- Freeze 2 hours until firm.
- Place oil in pan, set over high heat.
- Once oil is hot, whisk 1/2 the flour with beer till just combined.
- Do not overwork.
- Dust chips in remaining flour then dip in batter.
- Fry in batches till golden and crisp.
- Season and enjoy.
Absolutely fab! I use a beer batter when I make my mum's fish and chips, so I know how tasty it is! I made a full batch and also threw a few calamari squid rings in, so we had seafood and chips on one plate! I used 3 large spuds and about 12 squid rings for a super supper. Served the chips and calamari with mixed salad leaves and tartare sauce. Made for Make my recipe in the Aus/NZ forum, many thanks Kate!
Kate, these were fabulous! I'm a bit surprised at just how good they are...I did reduce the recipe (to 2 servings) and added a pinch of salt and pepper to the batter mix; I will probably try some cayenne for spiciness next time :-) They cooked up very nicely, and the steaming of the potatoes saves some time. I think this would be an awesome batter for onion rings, which I'll be trying next! Thanks so much for sharing, katew!