Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Marinate this for at least 1 hour and allow to cook 3 minutes per batch.
Make and share this Beer Battered Catfish recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup beer, room temperature
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb catfish fillet, cut into 3- to 4-inch wide strips
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, salt, baking powder, paprika, peppers, and oregano.
- Whisk in beer and egg until smooth. Add catfish. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a deep skillet or large pan, pour vegetable oil to a 3-inch depth. Heat oil to medium-high heat on stovetop.
- When oil is hot, lift fish strips with tongs to drain excess batter. Fry catfish in oil, several pieces at a time (being careful not to overcrowd), for approximately 3 minutes per batch, or until well browned on all sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining catfish, keeping cooked fish warm until ready to serve.
I followed the recipe exactly and thought the taste was great. My family thought is was a little salty. I'm definitely going to make this again but next time I will use a Cajun seasoning which is salt free.
this turned out fantastically!! DEFINITELY try out this recipe!!!