Prep 12 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe courtesy David Tutera, the famous wedding planner. You can substitute your favorite herbs for the rosemary and thyme.
Lemon Herbed Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄2 teaspoon roughly minced fresh rosemary leaf
- 1 pinch salt
Beer Battered Asparagus
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup beer
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon Herbed Dipping Sauce: Stir together all ingredients and transfer to a small bowl. Chill, covered, until ready to serve.
- Beer Battered Asparagus: Heat oil in a heavy saucepan until it reaches 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, salt, pepper lemon and zest in a bowl until combined. Add beer and whisk ingredients until smooth.
- Dip asparagus in batter to coat. Remove excess batter before frying. Gently transfer battered asparagus to oil and fry until golden. Stir gently to prevent asparagus from sticking together.
- Transfer to a baking sheet that has been lined with paper towels and keep warm in a preheated 200 degree F oven.
This review is for the asparagus only, as we didn't make the dipping sauce. They were excellent!! I wouldn't have changed a thing; the batter was just perfect. Each asparagus spear took about five minutes to cook. Thanks so much for posting.