Serious comfort food from an Alaskan fisherman's wife's 'galley'. Thanks Mom!
Make and share this Beer Batter Halibut recipe from Food.com.
- Divide halibut fillet into approximately 1.5" cubes.
- Mix dry ingredients, add beaten egg. Pour beer in until proper consistency. Batter will be smooth and a little runny but thicker than water.
- The remaining beer is yours to enjoy.
- Add oil to frying pan until oil is approximately 1/2 the height of the halibut cubes; heat on medium high until suitable for deep frying.
- Make a test piece:.
- Coat halibut piece in batter, add to oil. Fry for two minutes, then turn with tongs (being very careful of oil spattering) and fry another two minutes. Transfer finished piece to a paper towel covered plate. Split piece with fork to check for doneness, if piece does not split easily and/or middle of halibut piece does not appear to be opaque, adjust cooking time and/or oil temperature to ensure pieces are done.
- When satisfied with cooking time, repeat until all pieces have been cooked (multiple pieces can be put in pan).
- Serve warm with tartar sauce.
We absolutely loved this recipe! :) I did add more flour about a half a cup and only used half a can of beer. The mixture was really thin and I was worried but the halibut turned out great. I added black pepper and salt to the batter too. DH was just on cloud 9 :) Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I know I will be making fish this way from now on.