1/1 Photo of Beer Batter Halibut
Alison of the North Country's Note:
Serious comfort food from an Alaskan fisherman's wife's 'galley'. Thanks Mom!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Divide halibut fillet into approximately 1.5" cubes.
- 2Mix dry ingredients, add beaten egg. Pour beer in until proper consistency. Batter will be smooth and a little runny but thicker than water.
- 3The remaining beer is yours to enjoy.
- 4Add oil to frying pan until oil is approximately 1/2 the height of the halibut cubes; heat on medium high until suitable for deep frying.
- 5Make a test piece:.
- 6Coat halibut piece in batter, add to oil. Fry for two minutes, then turn with tongs (being very careful of oil spattering) and fry another two minutes. Transfer finished piece to a paper towel covered plate. Split piece with fork to check for doneness, if piece does not split easily and/or middle of halibut piece does not appear to be opaque, adjust cooking time and/or oil temperature to ensure pieces are done.
- 7When satisfied with cooking time, repeat until all pieces have been cooked (multiple pieces can be put in pan).
- 8Serve warm with tartar sauce.
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beer Batter Halibut
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.1
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 245.3 mg
- Sodium 458.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 96.4 g